Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Numeracy in my coffee cup

Each morning, I wake up before my husband and the first thing I do is put on a pot of coffee. I then proceed to make lunches, unload/ reload the dishwasher, and tidy up the kitchen.

Eventually, my husband rolls out of bed and tumbles into the living room, turns on the morning news and mumbles something about wanting coffee. Being the Good Wife that I am, I reason to myself that he is not a morning person, poor fellow, I should really get him a cup of coffee and set his day off to a nice start as kindness is the foundation of the respect and love I have for him.

Simultaneously, my inner B. is thinking that this lazy oaf needs to get off the bloody couch and get his own (BLEEP)ing coffee, what does he think this is, a restaurant? So what do I do? Of course, being the Good Wife, I take down the cups from the shelf and proceed to get my beloved a cup of coffee, sweetened with a toach of organic sweet cane, just as he likes it…

But, my inner B. is not willing to go down without a fight, so I choose those cups carefully. Cup A and Cup B are, at first glance, quite similar but I know the differences (insert evil laughter here).
Both cups are the same height, but Cup B is a more square shape and has a larger diameter than the circular, smaller diametered Cup B. When filled Cup B holds more than Cup A. When I fill them to the same height (fairsy-sharesy!), whomever gets Cup B gets more coffee. Whomever gets more coffee WINS! Of course I take Cup B, I WIN! TAKE THAT YOU LAZY BUM! (more evil laughter)

“Nothing, Honey, just talkin’ to myself, here’s your coffee. Enjoy!”

I am avenged, yet my husband, in his blissful innumerate ignornace, doesn’t suspect a thing…

No comments:

Post a Comment