Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Numeracy at T and T Market


The other day I arrived at the SFU Surrey Campus with time to spare, so I headed over to T and T Market in search of unusual and yummy food products imported from nations around the world.

I came across NesCafe 3 in 1 instant coffee packets imported from Malaysia. These are packets of instant coffee, creamer and sugar, individually packaged for your convenience. Thirty packages to a bag, each bag costing $8.69.

This was significant to me for 2 reasons: 1. I am a coffee fanatic and 2. I am cheap.

“Hmmm…”, I thought “Should I buy this to take to school? I could have my coffee and spend less money!” In order to make the decision, I considered several things.

If 30 cups cost $8.69, how much does that work out per cup? -Rounding it up to $9, that would be 9.00 divided by 30, which would be about 30 cents per cup.

How much of a savings per cup is that compared to what I would usually spend at the SFU coffee shop? - In a best case scenario, where I bring a mug and at SFU Bby (where coffee is cheaper), at Renaissance coffee, I spend 1.35 for a refill cup. That means I would save 1.05 per cup.

I usually have 2 cups every day I at class, so that means spending 2.10 each day. For four days a week on campus per week, I am saving about $8.40. Not too bad!

But… then I started to thinking… Do I really want to be drinking instant instead of brewed coffee? Does the savings make it work it?

So, I did a quick little analysis of the Utility factors involved:
UT for delicious taste of a brewed cuppa joe: 10
UT for spending $1. 35 per cup: -9
Total for brewed: 1

UT for somewhat less delicous taste of instant 5
UT for spending the minimal amount of $.30 9
Total for instant: 14

It became obvious that I was willing to opt for the mediocre coffee with the thrifty price tag, so I bought the big bag of Nescafe 3 in 1!


No comments:

Post a Comment