Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Numeracy in the Department Store

My son is 6 years old, and as any parent of a young boy will attest, the mere announcement of a trip to go shopping is an invitation for a litany of complaints delivered in an especially annoying whiny tone.

For this reason, I have developed a way of measuring clothing to see if it will fit my little guy by using my body.

If a hat fits me slightly snugly, it will probably fit him.

If the sleeves on a shirt are roughly ¾ the length of my arm, it will probably fit him.

If the shoe is the length of the outside of my foot, it should probably fit him.

If the pants come up to about ½ the way between my knee and hip, measured from the ground up, they should probably fit him.

The method is not fool-proof, due to the differences inherent to different styles, but most of the time it is pretty reliable and when taking into account the Utility factor of having a tranquil shopping experince and only the occasional trip back to the store to exchange a size compared to the Utility factor of dragging an unhappy, whiny and complaining 6 year old with me to the store to try on clothes to ensure a perfect fit every time….

There is no question as to what I would rather do!

No comments:

Post a Comment